IT Support – What is it all about?
People can be very confused about what IT support does for a business.
Most people only interact with IT support services when there is a problem – so they think IT guys fix computers.
However, very little engineering time is spent on fixing problems reported by end users. This is just a tiny part of the IT support service that all IT departments supply.
Our time is spent doing much of the following:
- Managing customers/suppliers requests (explaining what customers want, what services match this, what services exist that they could benefit from)
- Admin (logging our requests / billing / ordering parts / phone calls to suppliers)
- Setting up new services
- Researching and learning about new products and the latest versions. Keeping abreast of technology is very time consuming
- Applying updates, preventative maintenance, documenting processes and procedures
- Reviewing system logs
- Moving services to new servers
When we talk about being a “Managed Service Provider”, this is what we mean, not fixing your email, but enabling your business growth through better management.