Some tips to make your computer network faster
- High quality network cabling – if your office is running on wifi or several mini-hubs strung together, you will always have an unreliable network, we can quote to sort this out with cat5e or cat6 cabling. Get in touch if the performance is bad, it may have been poorly installed or terminated.
- Get a High quality network switch – if you have more then 5 computers you should get a gigabit managed network switch’s, ideally with POE. IF you are still running on 100MB (or even 10MB!) your network will be slow!
- Correct issues with your network configuration. Common problems are subnet mask too big, loops of cables near power sources. Faulty equipment creating traffic. Printers sending out lots of useless traffic, firewalls not configured properly and most importantly of all DNS incorrectly configured. Get in touch and we can audit your systems to find out why the network is slow. We can even fix it!
- Internet connection saturated – If your internet connection is very slow this will impact on the internal network, especially if you are using office 365 or other cloud based software. We have various solutions such as load balancers, traffic management and user education to help with this. we can also provide you with faster internet links.
- Keep everything tidy – its so much faster to troubleshoot a tidy network, often we can talk on-site staff through troubleshooting over the phone and save a site visit – if you network is spaghetti, you will pay out time and time again for engineers and your staff to troubleshoot minor issues
- If you have done all the basics its time for some deeper troubleshooting, packet captures, vlan, spanning tree and a number of other items will need to be looked at in turn to narrow down the bottlenecks and fix them. Sometimes teaming network ports (or unteaming them) can have huge benefits to the speed, also virtualisation of old hardware can make things better (or worse if not properly configured)
Get in touch today if you would like an IT network speed audit – call 02080995540 or click here