Should we upgrade our computers to Windows 10 or wait a bit longer
Important note for GoodChoice IT Customers
We are not supporting our customers upgrade to Windows 10 yet. We will manage the transition when your business is ready and not allow users to upgrade themselves. If you have managed to accidentally upgrade, please call us; or you can go to the Start menu, select Settings, and go to Update & Security -> Recovery and click “Go back to windows 7”. If that fails, please call us immediately on 020 8099 5540.
Windows 10 help
We are getting a large number of support requests from businesses for help with Windows 10 at the moment.
- We would suggest waiting a few more months before upgrading to Windows 10 in your company. However, if you have already upgraded, it is possible to downgrade but you can only downgrade in the first 30 days, or you are stuck on Windows 10 unless we reinstall!
- If the PC no longer boots because the install has not gone through properly, you can call us on 020 8640 4131 and we can courier it to us to fix it in our workshop
- If the PC keeps crashing again, have it couriered to us and we will get it sorted and send it back ASAP
What we are planning is to start offering migration planning services in 2016.
The process will be:
- Assess your hardware and software and identify equipment that is not ready for Windows 10
- Upgrade all hardware to the latest BIOS and any other firmware that is needed
- Replace the hard disk with a solid state drive (SSD) and install a second monitor (if not already done)
- Reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, load Office365 and your software and printers
- We are asked, ‘why not just upgrade’? In our 20 years of dealing with Microsoft, we have found a fresh install is generally more stable and reduces the entropy (the disorder) of your IT network at the same time. As all the PC’s are basically identical, support issues are significantly reduced
- If you would rather not do a clean install but instead follow the in-place upgrade route, we still strongly advise to upgrading to a solid state drive. We will need to allow around 45 mins per PC to manage any issues arising from the upgrade
- Generally people have found the transmission fairly easy and we have not experienced an uplift in service desk requests from Windows 10 new users (if we manage the upgrade)
If you would like GoodChoice IT to manage your business upgrades to Windows 10, Please get in touch on 020 80 99 55 40 or click here